Friday, September 12, 2008

Memories from the Past: things haven't changed...it is just that I forgot how it used to be


I realized that I was passionate about development when I did social work at a "pueblo joven" (low-income neighborhood) outside Lima City during Christmas time. One time, a little boy decided to share with me half of his piece of cake. I was so touched because that is a lot, if you take into account he had so little. I was determined to help change those children's lives.

However, I was shocked to realized that my four years at Lawrence University had somewhat erased those memories from my mind. Many people talk about the Lawrence bubble and yes, there is one. During my daily life I never saw people begging in the streets at Lawrence! I didn't have that awful feeling of sadness and desperation because one just can't help everybody.

I was shocked to see so many homeless dogs wandering around Buenos Aires. I was shocked to see (ONCE AGAIN) people looking inside other people's garbage to see if they could find something to eat. No, this is not just endemic to Buenos Aires. No. I had seen this before...all my life in Peru. But it felt as if I was seeing these situations for the first time in my life.

The night I was going back to Buenos Aires from the Esteros del Ibera, my friend Fernando and I were looking for a place to eat. Suddenly, an eleven-year old boy, Maxi, asked me if I had any coins. I impulsively asked him if he wanted to eat hamburgers with us. He agreed and sat down with us. I was trying really hard not to cry. He ate couldn't finish his hamburger because he was too full. He told me that he wasn't used to eat that much.

He started following us to the bus terminal and I offered to give him a pair of socks, and some fruit and bread. When we got there, the man selling tickets was with his family eating chicken. He gave Maxi the leftovers and he sat down to eat on the floor. The homeless dogs in the bus terminal surrounded him watching closely every one of his movements. They were hungry too...they wanted to eat chicken as well. I just couldn't believe my eyes! It was as if Maxi was one more of those homeless dogs. Visually speaking, they were basically in the same level...they were all eating on the ground...eating leftovers. But Maxi is not a dog....he is a little boy! I felt helpless. I thought "he was lucky today. He found Fer and I. What will happen tomorrow?"

The only one thing I am glad about is that all these experiences reminded me once again why I want to work in the development field. They help me to touch base with reality and gave me more motivation to continue studying. My father always told me that God gave me a lot of good things and qualities and that it was my responsibility to use those things give back to others who are less privileged. I think he is right.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am very contradictory sometimes....maybe like every woman. Sometimes, I mean one thing, but I also mean the opposite. I am very sensitive, but also very practical. My mom always says that I am too sensitive. I disagree…sometimes. Recently, I have discovered that I love adventure sports. At least, I want to go sky diving once in my life! I like adventure quite a lot and traveling to new places. I like change, but when I decide I want that change. It is a lot harder to accept change when it just happens without notice. I am optimistic, energetic and outgoing. I love my family and friends and I miss them very much because I usually move quite a lot. I tried keep in touch, but sometimes I take too long to reply. I consider myself very lucky! I like to do things that make me happy and I am lucky that I have been able to live the life I want. I think that life is one and short...there is no second chance. So you need to do what you like, what makes you most passionate. That is why I am going into development and I am quite excited! I want to help to start making a difference. I want help others to have the opportunities I had.